BASIC COILED TUBING TOOLS
Coiled Tubing Connectors
Provide a means of connecting the CT to the BHA.
- Slip Type
- Internal Dimple On
- External Dimple On & Grub Screw
- Manual & Hydraulic Dimple Jigs
- CT Reamers & Preparation Tools
Check Valves, Disconnects, Circulation Subs & Motorhead Assemblies
- Check Valves are required to be tandem. The prevent undesired back flow of wellbore fluids into the CT maintaining well control.
- Disconnects allow the CT to be released from the BHA in the event the BHA gets stuck in the wellbore.
- Circulation subs allow for circulation to be re-established in the event the BHA becomes plugged.
- Motorhead Assemblies are required on all milling BHAs. The contain check valves, Disconnect, Circ Sub & Rupture Disc.
Joints, Stems & Stabilizers
- Knuckle Joints allow BHA to pivot at a given point providing a larger range of motion to the lower tool string.
- Quick Connects allow the connection of the tool string to be made when not able to rotate the full assembly. Primarily used when pressure deploying long BHAs.
- Downhole filters keep debris from plugging off smaller orifices in the lower BHA like small jetting nozzles.
- Stabilizers keep the tool string centralized in the wellbore & minimize shocks & vibration during operations.
- Jetting Nozzles come in numerous configurations depending upon the application. The Jets provide a directional orifice that restricts flow creating a high pressure stream.
- Variable Nozzle allows to the flexibility to change configuration of jetting
- Rotating Nozzle allows 360 degree penetration.
MILLING COILED TUBING TOOLS
Motors, Mills, Washover Shoes & Under-Reamers
- Thru Tubing Motors allow hi torque rotation in the BHA required since the CT itself cannot be rotated.
- Mills remove any well obstructions and come in a variety of designs & compositions. Some of these obstructions include; cement, scale, metal, plugs, hydrates, fish, etc.
- Washover Shoes allows a fish to be swallowed with milling external debris. This is often utilized to expose a fish neck & allow engagement.
- Under-Reamers expand the hole size created by the mill which is desirable when it is required to pass thru a restriction in the completion.
TUBING SEVERANCE TOOLS
Anchor & Pipe Cutter
- Hydraulic Anchor engages in the tubing or casing wall & prevents up/down movement of the BHA during cutting or perforating operations. This is vital when depth is critical.
- Pipe Cutter severs the production tubing when the tubing is stuck due to not being able to release the packer or there is an internal obstruction within the tubing that doesn’t allow intervention.
FISHING TOOLS - ENGAGEMENT
Overshots, Spears, Pulling Tools & Wireline
- Overshots engage the OD of a fish when no fish neck is present, known as slick catch.
- Spears engage the ID of a fish when no fish neck is present, known as slick catch.
- Pulling Tools commonly known as JDC for external engagement & GS for internal engagement are used when there is an engagement profile on the fish.
- Wireline Catch & Wireline Grab are used to retrieve wireline or slickline from the wellbore.
FISHING TOOLS - IMPACT
Impact Hammers, Jars, Intensifiers
- Impact Tools allow an amplification of up or down force downhole of what is applied by CT weight & at surface by the injector.
- Jars fire a single burst of energy at 1 time and can be reset downhole.
- Impact Hammers fire multiple times utilizing both weight & pump rate.
- Intensifiers create a larger more immediate transfer of energy to the Jar or Hammer and also serve as a re-coil shock absorber.
ORIENTATION & MANIPULATION TOOLS
Nipple Locator, Indexing Tool, Bow Spring Centralizer, Shifting Tool
- Nipple Locator or Tubing End Locator allows a profile in the wellbore to be identified by a slight indication on surface on the CT weight indicator. This is used when depth correlation is critical.
- Indexing Tools allow for the lower BHA to cycle 540 degrees which is used when a fish is leaning against the tubing wall or when entering a tight restriction.
- Bow Spring Centralizers are used to keep the BHA central in the wellbore. The have a high expansion when passing thru restrictions.
- Shifting Tools allow the engagement for a profile of a sliding sleeve in the completion. The sleeve can be moved in either direction the open or close position.